Beef Stew Instant Pot Style (Paleo & AIP Options)
- 1.5 lb grassfed stew meat, cut into bite size chunks
- 1 TBS bacon fat or lard
- 3 cups sweet potato (AIP) or white potatoes, cut into large cubes
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 1 cup asparagus (AIP) or green beans, chopped
- 1 cup zucchini, chopped
- 3 cups of broth
- 1.5 tsp pepper (omit for AIP)
- 1.5 tsp himalayan pink salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 2 bay leaves
- fish sauce, to taste (optional)
- 3 TBS arrowroot or tapioca starch
- Add bacon fat to instant pot and push the saute button. When it beeps it has come to full heat. Add the beef and brown until no longer pink on the outside.
- Add vegetables, broth, seasonings, and a splash of fish sauce. Stir until well combined.
- Place & lock lid. Make sure steam valve is closed. Press the meat/stew button and set to 30 minutes.
- When it's done cooking a timer will go off and the machine will switch to the warm function. Let the pressure release naturally, taking about 15 minutes.
- Remove 1/3 cup of liquid and put into a small bowl or cup. Slowly whisk in arrowroot starch until thickened and well combined. Add broth/flour mixture back into the Instant Pot and gently stir to combine. If you like your stew thicker switch to saute and let it reduce for a few minutes.
Be careful to stir the finished stew gently to prevent your sweet potatoes from turning to mush. To reduce waiting time during the natural release cover the lid and valve of the Instant Pot with a towel.
Recipe by Food and Sunshine at http://www.foodandsunshine.com/beef-stew-instant-pot-style/