Did you really think I was going to tease you with a powdered sugar recipe and not make something from it? Yeah right! IT’S COOKIE TIME! I’ve been having a lot of fun lately stepping outside of my comfort zone into the world of baking. I’m definitely more of a cook than a baker, so I’ve really enjoyed the challenge. These cranberry orange cookies are little gems of citrusy tangy tarty goodness. They are reminiscent of a shortbread cookie, crispy and crunchy but melt in your mouth. Nut-free with an AIP option, they are appropriate for people with all types of food allergies and intolerances. They stack well and could easily be wrapped up for the perfect handmade gift, storing for about 2 weeks. If you make a double batch you can save some dough logs for later – they will keep in the freezer for up to a month!
Cranberry Orange Cookies AIP modification
For strict AIP use palm shortening. There is some discrepancy on extracts being AIP, but all according to Paleo Mom cooked extracts are ok as all alcohol is cooked out. You can also use alcohol free extracts if you prefer.
If you’ve successfully re-introduced ghee or grass fed butter using it will add to the flavor. But despite the flavor boost, my husband preferred the AIP version as he loved the extra crispiness from the palm shortening.
- ½ cup room temp grassfed butter, ghee, or palm shortening*
- ¼ cup + 1TBS of powdered coconut sugar
- 1 tsp orange extract
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 140 grams of cassava flour (approx. 1 cup)
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ cup dried cranberries, chopped
- zest of 1 orange
- AIP option*
- In a small bowl and using a mixing spoon combine butter, powdered coconut sugar, orange extract, & vanilla extract until smooth.
- Add flour and salt and combine until dough forms. Stir in cranberries and orange zest.
- Divide dough into 2 pieces. On a piece of parchment paper roll pieces into logs approximately 1.5 inches wide by 4 inches long. Wrap tightly and chill at least 45 minutes (up to 24 hours).
- Preheat oven to 325 and line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Slice logs into cookies ¼ inch thick. Rotate the log on each cut to avoid flattening. Space 1 inch apart and bake 20-22 minutes, until edges are slightly golden.
- Move parchment and cookies to a wire rack and let cool. Cookies will be crumbly until cooled.
Freeze your cranberries for easy chopping.