One of my favorite foods in the entire world is an Italian Beef Sandwich from Portillo’s in Chicago. Unfortunately, Florida doesn’t have Portillo’s, and Portillo’s has tons of gluten. I was lucky enough to go to Chicago for a hockey tournament before Celiac and ate a lifetime’s worth of Italian Beefs. Seriously, we were there for a week and I think I had one for almost every meal…and hockey players eat a lot of meals. I’ve been craving one something fierce, so I came up with this Crock Pot Italian Beef to recreate an old favorite.
When I bought Brittany Angell’s book of all cookbooks, Every Last Crumb, and saw the recipe for baguettes I knew my life would once again be complete. I’m not much of a baker, or a bread eater anymore, so most of the time we eat this goodness over a giant plate of veggies. Sometimes though, you just have to go to town and eat it sandwich style. Smothered in au jus of course!
Sorry for the super crappy kitchen lighting picture….but I made baguettes! It was a moment worthy of capturing, crap lighting and all.
Guess what?! I FINALLY BOUGHT AN INSTANT POT. I’m so freaking excited! If you don’t know what this amazingness is consult Dr. Google RIGHT. THIS. SECOND. While this recipe has been tried and tested in a slow cooker, I have a batch going in the instant pot right now. You may want to keep watch of my instagram feed to see how it turns out. Well, you should watch my instagram feed anyway. It’s food porn, and food porn is important for life happiness. Ok back to the Instant Pot. This thing is amazing. I made the best pulled pork of my life in 90 minutes, and then cooked cabbage for me and corn on the cob for my non-paleo husband in the left over cooking liquid…in under 5 minutes. We’re on a beach vacation right now and brought it with us so I had an easy way to cook myself food. Being able to cook for myself when I travel makes life 40450345934 times easier and more enjoyable. Nothing like killing a vacation with being gluten poisoned at a restaurant. I much rather enjoy the sunshine at the beach while chomping away on my own delicious food.
- 3-4 lbs chuck roast, preferably grassfed
- 4-5 cloves of garlic
- 1 onion, chopped into large chunks
- 2 cups beef broth
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- Seasoning Blend:
- 1 TBS ground pepper*
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons dried marjoram
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons himalayan pink salt, more to taste
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes*
- *Omit for AIP
- Add onions to the crock pot.
- Make seasoning blend by combining pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, marjoram, basil, oregano, salt, and red pepper flakes. Taste a bit and add more salt if that's your thing.
- Make a few small slits in the roast and tuck in garlic cloves.
- Put the roast in the crock pot, and rub it with the seasoning blend. You can do this outside the pot, but it makes cleanup much easier to just do it all in one place and you won't lose any seasoning.
- Add broth & vinegar to the crock pot.
- Cook for 6-8 hours on low.
- Take out roast and shred with 2 forks. Depending on how you are serving it and your taste buds, add some of that glorious juice.
GET IN MY BELLY!!!!