Cauliflower rice. I love it and I hate it. I love how versatile it is. I love how it really takes on the flavor of what it is with and can add some boost to any meal. I love how I can give it to people and it takes them some time before they realize they aren’t actually eating rice. That always makes me laugh. But, I hate how the process of turning cauliflower rice into rice includes a food processor and little itty bitty rice pellets that get in every crack and crevice in the kitchen. I hate those pellets. They fly everywhere and stick to everything.
What do I love and not hate in the slightest? My Instant pot. We know this. I rave about it all the time. For the past couple of weeks I’ve been experimenting with cooking cauliflower in it. IT’S AMAZING. AMAZING I TELL YA! So amazing that it cooks cauliflower rice with no pre-ricing required! Yup – no little pellets sticking to your toes and coffee pot.
Please note: Some of the links below are affiliate links, which means that if you purchase anything through them I will receive a small commission. This is at no additional cost to you and helps keep Food and Sunshine alive to bring you great free content. I only endorse products that I’ve used, know, and trust.
I included a fried rice variation in the recipe that includes the addition of onions and garlic. You can adapt this variation for whatever additional vegetables or seasoning that you desire. The rice itself makes a great base, so have fun building on it to create meals! Our favorite is the fried variation, seasoned with Primal Palate Adobo and cooked down in ghee and broth for flavor. It reminds us of Lipton’s Chicken Fried Rice. It’s a dish that’s near and dear to our hearts as it was part of the ‘special meal’ that Gary cooked for me to seal the deal when we were first dating. It was pretty much the only thing he knew how to cook and he was beyond excited to cook it for me.
Tips for Making No Rice Cauliflower Rice
- Make sure to use quick release as soon as it’s done cooking. Natural Release will continue to cook the cauliflower.
- This will not make a perfect rice pellet like grating it prior to cooking, but it still maintains the structure of rice if not overcooked. Reduce your cooking time for a firmer rice, but it will take a little more effort and possibly a knife to rice it after it cooks.
- If you have room in your Instant Pot you can cook multiple heads of cauliflower, but you may need to experiment with cooking times. I’ve had two very small heads take 6 minutes and two of similar size take 8 minutes.
- For mashed cauliflower let it naturally release or increase the cooking time by a few minutes and use quick release. The additional cooking time will make it mash effortlessly.
- There can be some variation in cooking times using the Instant Pot. If your cauliflower is too hard to rice easily you can cook it for an additional 1-2 minutes using the same steps.
- Add your reserved cooking broth to finished rice for a boost of flavor.
Instant Pot No Rice Cauliflower Rice (Paleo, AIP)
Yield 4 -6 servings
- 1 cup bone broth or water
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into large florets
- seasoning blend of choice
Fried Rice Variation
- Pour water into the Instant Pot and place steamer basket inside. Put cauliflower in basket, close, and seal the vent. Press the manual button and cook for 3-5 minutes depending on the size of the cauliflower.
- To prevent overcooking, quick release the pressure and immediately remove the cauliflower. Put cauliflower in a medium bowl. Use a fork to chop into pieces. It should fall apart into rice like pellets easily.
- Add your favorite seasonings and serve warm.
Fried Rice Variation
- Complete steps 1 & 2 above using broth instead of water for the cooking liquid. Remove the broth from the Instant Pot and reserve.
- Add lard to the Instant Pot and switch to sauté mode by pressing cancel followed by the sauté button. Add diced onions, and cook until the onions are soft and translucent. Add in garlic & cauliflower and mix well.
- Slowly pour in some of the reserved broth (1 TBS at a time) and cook until rice is at the desired consistency. Season with salt & your favorite seasoning blend and serve warm.
Courses Side Dish
Looking for more Instant Pot Recipes?