It’s finally starting to cool down here in Florida and by cool down I mean 85 degrees instead of 98. We all know when the weather cools it means all the soup, all the time. This pumpkin butternut soup is pretty easy (aside from cutting that damn butternut) and super tasty. You can easily adjust the flavor with different herbs and spices. That’s what I love about soup – you really can’t screw it up. Tonight I literally emptied every last vegetable we had in the fridge into a pot, added broth, some chicken & spices, and had the best dinner ever. Gary’s was gone before I even sat down!
I switched to making my bone broth in the Instant Pot this year and I’m loving every second of it. I get super gelatinous broth every time which seemed to be virtually impossible when I used my slow cooker. A lot of slow cookers get too hot which prevents gelling as it breaks down the collagen. I was so excited for my gel this time around that I posted a video of broth jiggles. It really does make me want to dance. I also despise the smell of bones simmering on the stove or crock pot and the long cooking times just makes it intolerable. The Instant Pot only needs 2 hours and there is absolutely no nasty smell. I can do a super broth session and knock out multiple batches in one day without wanting to run from my house. Man I love that thing.
Ok enough chatter, let’s get to the pumpkin butternut soup!
Rosemary Pumpkin Butternut Squash Soup
- 2 TBS ghee (or coconut oil for strict AIP)
- 1 medium sized butternut squash, cut into cubes
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 15oz can of pumpkin
- 4 cups of bone broth
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg (omit for AIP)
- 1 TBS dried rosemary
- 1 tsp salt, more to taste
- 1 cinnamon stick
- In a medium sized stock pot melt ghee. Add squash and onions, sautéing for 5-8 minutes until soft.
- Add pumpkin and broth, mix well.
- Add nutmeg, rosemary, salt, and cinnamon stick. Simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove soup from heat & discard cinnamon stick.
- Using an immersion blender or in batches in a regular blender process soup until smooth.