I got so excited for the Black Friday Instant Pot sale that I’ve been absolutely obsessed with it again…and I didn’t even buy one during the sale! I’m just so excited to know that so many people are sharing in the glory that is the Instant Pot. Pause. How old am I? I’m 30, but the fact that I’m practically dancing over a small kitchen appliance I feel 60. If you haven’t noticed yet I’m pretty good at going off topic. Sorry about that.
Last year I made this Instant Pot beef stew a million and one times. I just couldn’t get enough of it. There is something about removing the lid and being met with a beautiful and aromatic pot of beef stew that is so gratifying. If you an Instant Pot you know what I mean. It’s like that feeling when you pop a really good pimple. I can’t believe I just said that. Wow, what a poor analogy to use when talking about food. Let’s talk about something else.
I’m off from my day job on Mondays, so after class I spend the afternoon food prepping and developing recipes for the blog. As someone who really enjoys cooking it’s one of the highlights of my week. I love how cooking gets me out of my head and into my body. I can focus on the sensations, the smells, the feel, the food. This Monday I was totally feeling stew. I’ve been eating it for breakfast all week and I ate the last of it yesterday. I can’t tell you how sad that makes me. It’s just such a warm way to start my day, it’s like my coffee.
I think I did enough gabbing for today, let’s get cooking!
Beef Stew Instant Pot Style (Paleo & AIP Options)
- 1.5 lb grassfed stew meat, cut into bite size chunks
- 1 TBS bacon fat or lard
- 3 cups sweet potato (AIP) or white potatoes, cut into large cubes
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 1 cup asparagus (AIP) or green beans, chopped
- 1 cup zucchini, chopped
- 3 cups of broth
- 1.5 tsp pepper (omit for AIP)
- 1.5 tsp himalayan pink salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 2 bay leaves
- fish sauce, to taste (optional)
- 3 TBS arrowroot or tapioca starch
- Add bacon fat to instant pot and push the saute button. When it beeps it has come to full heat. Add the beef and brown until no longer pink on the outside.
- Add vegetables, broth, seasonings, and a splash of fish sauce. Stir until well combined.
- Place & lock lid. Make sure steam valve is closed. Press the meat/stew button and set to 30 minutes.
- When it's done cooking a timer will go off and the machine will switch to the warm function. Let the pressure release naturally, taking about 15 minutes.
- Remove 1/3 cup of liquid and put into a small bowl or cup. Slowly whisk in arrowroot starch until thickened and well combined. Add broth/flour mixture back into the Instant Pot and gently stir to combine. If you like your stew thicker switch to saute and let it reduce for a few minutes.
Be careful to stir the finished stew gently to prevent your sweet potatoes from turning to mush. To reduce waiting time during the natural release cover the lid and valve of the Instant Pot with a towel.
Other Instant Pot Recipes: